Monday, March 4, 2013

"Ikarian Stew"

A few days ago, I finished to book The Blue Zones 9 Lessons for Living Longer.  Loved the book, and I highly recommend it.  In the chapter on Ikaria, the author mentions a dish that sounded wonderful.  There was no recipe, so I decided to come up with my own. 

Ikarian Stew

3 cups black-eyed peas
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp ground fennel seed
1 Tbsp dried minced garlic
2 large handfuls of spinach or wild greens
Extra Virgin Olive Oil to finish

Soak black-eyed peas in plenty of water with Apple Cider Vinegar for 12 hours. 
Cook black-eyed peas over night in a slow cooker on low.
Half an hour before finish, remove excess water and add tomatoes, fennel, garlic and greens. 
Stir to combine. 
Finish cooking on high for about 30 minutes. 

This was a wonderful dish, that even my children enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment